Friday, May 1, 2009

My Very First Bag


I made this diaper bag after a three year search for something that would fit my needs. I needed something big enough to hold items for three kids and more importantly, something that would keep my bottles upright! I was so tired of having spilled formula all over the contents of my bag, but manufacturers couldn't seem to understand why this was important.
I made this thing as cheaply as I could. The first time I attempt a project I go cheap so that I am not wasting expensive materials on something that might end up in scraps. I didn't use any interfacing. The thread was 33 cents a spool. The fabric was in the extreme discount bin. I didn't double stitch any of the seams.
Even so, this bag has held up better than any store bought one. The first year we had my son we went though about 4 bags with each of them ripping at the seams within 3-4 months. This bag, despite it's penny pinching heritage, has only just begun to show signs of wear and tear. This bag is used on a daily basis and crammed full of diapers, formula and sippy cups. It gets dragged, thrown around, hung over my shoulder and hung over the bars of my massive double stroller.

No comments:

Post a Comment