Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Orange Harvest



I really want to tell you how easy this was to make. I want to tell you that I am a "professional" seamstress and have no problems, throwing things together willy-nilly with a creative flair that no one can match.


But I can't.


The truth is - this bag took a lot of time and some major patience. I've learned my lesson - don't sew when you are sleep deprived, or bad things can happen. Like cutting a hole in the back pocket and having to make a whole new one. Or completely missing the stitching on the strap. I have also learned that not every fabric type will adhere smoothly to heavy weight fusible interfacing. The result is an interesting texture that I don't entirely dislike.




I have also learned that I am not the only person out there using this design. My first bag was from a Simplicity pattern which I then altered to make my own. I have been designing other bags without the help of stock patterns and I think I am going to start highlighting them more than this particular style. After a search on the internet I found several other people making bags like mine, and while I know that I am not in direct competition with them, I do have a desire to be different from the rest. I also want that ego boost that comes from being able to claim a design as all-my-very-own. I admit it, I have an ego and I'm not afraid to use it.








3 comments:

  1. the new bag looks great, worth all the effort it took :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, Buffy!!! I didn't know it was that hard! I can not even tell you how much I love it, though. It is AWESOME and I can hardly wait for my sister to put it to good use. Actually, I kind of want to have a baby just so I can carry a cool diaper bag made by Buffy. Alas, I do not think my husband would agree that is such a good reason to have a baby.

    ReplyDelete