Thursday, April 16, 2009

Eight Years Ago...

The first year I was married, my husband conspired with my Mom to gift me with a sewing machine for Christmas. I was thrilled and for the first few months did a lot of thinking about sewing. However, I didn't know much except how to sew a somewhat straight line. The machine went into storage and I didn't pull it out again until the last few months of my first pregnancy. The desire to sew a bevy of wonderful things for our new son's bedroom was overwhelming and I attacked each project with gusto. Until my machine stopped working. Back it went into storage and I finished my projects using my Mom's Bernina. Two years ago I purchased a second hand Brother machine and have been stitching away ever since.

Last week I had the honor of attempting to "fix" a friend's machine. I've learned a little over the past couple years and asked her if I could take a look at it before she wrote it off or paid someone else good money to fix it. It turned out the bobbin was just a little touchy with threading and there was nothing wrong with it at all.

After the girls went to bed this afternoon, I took the Elna out, wiped a few years worth of dust off it and then started to take it apart. I quickly figured out where the problem was and within a few minutes it was sewing a super smooth seam! I also discovered all the machine feet that my mom had purchased with it! It's like Christmas all over again! I even have a foot that folds a perfect hem! So now I have two machines. I have to say, my 1971 Elna is a much smoother stitch than the 2007 Brother. It's a heavy metal beast that sews like a dream!






1 comment: