Sunday, April 19, 2009

It Lives!

The day after I "fixed" my Elna, I discovered a startling problem. While winding a bobbin, and not having much luck, smoke began to pour out the top of it. I cried a little and then went back to using my Brother for the current diaper bag I was sewing.

Today I realized that my plastic shell Brother was having a very hard time sewing through the multiple layers of fabric and interfacing I was dealing with. Out came the Elna again, this time determined to solve the problem once and for all. I took off the top and ran the machine for a couple minutes, hoping to see where the smoke signals were coming from. It turns out the light bulb was either very dirty, or just very old. Once it was removed I had no problems at all. Safe to say I won't be sewing in the dark any time soon.

With that figured out, I have been able to continue my bag without any problems! While my Brother had fits over the thick fabrics, the Elna runs through it like a hot knife though butter. It's great! I may have to sink some money into it and get it cleaned though - it's kind of nasty in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment